Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Ultra Singapore 2016

It is assumed that everyone who enjoys clubbing would like Zoukout. Let me tell you that this is not the case. While I love dancing (I call it dancing, some may call it hysteria) in a club, I absolutely HATED Zoukout the one time I went.

The main reason was the sand. I HATE sand. I don’t find joy in having sand get between your toes while dancing, having to walk cautiously in case of any broken bottles/vomit and trying to avoid stepping on the unconscious bodies that would be scattered on the beach by daybreak. 

So I was kinda excited when Hui Li so generously offered me her Day 2 Ultra tickets. It was Ultra’s debut in Singapore and I thought it’d be like Zoukout without the sand.. Perfect! Then I went to check it out on the website and didn’t find any familiar acts other than Above and Beyond (who I didn’t like), Sam Willows and Axwell. I was also kinda bummed when I found out it ended at 10.30pm (what kinda music festival ends so early?!). It was only after I realized who Kygo was that I got kinda hyped again. 

Another reason why I was a little hesitant to go was, this is gonna sound dumb, I was afraid there would be a terrorist attack. Before you scoff, let me just say that terrorism is very real nowadays ok! And I had good reason to be afraid! Firstly, it is an event where many people from overseas would be attending. Secondly, the date of the event was Sep 11. And also, the location was just next to MBS, the rumoured spot that those terrorists from Batam wanted to bomb! But because I didn’t want to let my paranoia control my life, I decided to go ahead. And I’m alive! Thank God. Now please brace yourselves for shaky and low-quality videos.


Apparently there were alot of complaints about Day 1, which the organisers heard and corrected so Day 2 was wayyy better. We went about 6pm and the queue was short and quick, unlike what people who went for Day 1 experienced.


We went for Kygo first, but the crowd didn't seem that hyped and were not really dancing much, probably coz most of his mixes were downtempo. I loved it when he spun the more popular songs like Bulletproof, No Money and Firestone and everyone suddenly got more excited and alive. The emcee came out at the end of his set and made us sing Happy Birthday to him, which was kinda cool, because it was his birthday and he was actually born in Singapore! #SGftw

Jas was initially kinda enthu about Above and Beyond, who came out next, but after 2 songs we decided that a drink and the opportunity to rest our aching legs were far more appealing.

It was a downer when they told us the cider was still not cold, 2 hours after we first asked them. So we had to settle for beer at $12/cup.

We went back for Axwell and it was really a pleasant surprise because prior to Ultra we didn't really know what songs he produced/remixed. My two favourite moments of the night were both during the Axwell set; once when he played Satisfaction/Good Feeling and the last part where he spun Sun is Shining, which is now my new favourite song of his. He asked everyone to take out their phones and shine the flashlights so the whole atmosphere was really harmonious and warm.




I must be getting old because that 4 hours of screaming and jumping left me having a fever the next day and sore throat for a week, but that’s not gonna stop me from going to Ultra next year! Yes, it was that good. But I’ll probably just go for one of the days, if not I might end up in hospital. #oldage

P.S. I know this post came kinda late since Ultra was like more than 2 months ago, I actually started writing about it but didn’t have the time to complete it till today.. =x 

No comments:

Post a Comment