Monday, October 19, 2015

Great Eastern Women's Run 2015 - Race Pack Collection


Met this girl on Saturday to collect our race packs for the Great Eastern Women's Run. I peeked into the bag while we were having dinner and was very pleased with the contents! 

Being a very typical kiasu Singaporean, obviously I wanna get my money's worth when I pay to do something which I can actually do for free. Many of my friends have scoffed at the idea of paying to run when you can do it anytime and anywhere. (Not to mention the fact that I have a gym membership as well.) Actually, every time I participate in a run I'd ask myself why I’m torturing myself and make a mental note to never do it again, but the satisfaction upon completing is totally worth it. Of course, there are other reasons why I like participating in runs.

1. It gives me a goal to work towards.

When I'm at the gym, sometimes many times I get a little lazy and just decide to use the elliptical (those cross trainers but with stationary handlebars). However, if I have a run to prepare for, I will push myself to use the treadmill to train for it. I try to participate twice a year and aim for a better timing each time, but my last timing was one of my personal best already so if I can maintain or even just get a few seconds less I’ll be satisfied!


2. The other runners help to pace me.

I love the vibes I get from an enthusiastic, pumped up sweaty crowd of runners. Call me weird but I like crowds and being part of thousands of people moving towards the same goal just motivates me A LOT more than running alone. Also, I like using “that girl in the pink shoes” or “that guy in the blue shorts” as a pacer to keep up with. It makes running more fun and makes me think less of the fact that I’m so tired I just wanna collapse.

3. The race packs are so worth it!

The very first “run” I went for was the Nike 10km human race 6 years back. I say “run” because I actually walked most of the way and took the same time you'd take to watch an entire movie lol. I actually got “tricked” into joining by the BFF, which is weird ‘cause that was her first and last run whereas that run, or rather, the race pack, actually piqued my interest in running. The fee was only $20 (very low considering it was NIKE and an average run costs about $50?) and there was a Nike tee and bottle in a drawstring bag. A Nike tee would normally cost about $40 so that in itself was already damn worth it!

Anyway, after that I tried to go for at least 2 runs a year and the regular one I sign up for is Sundown which is my favourite ‘coz I hate the sun and Sundown is, obviously, at night. But the sponsor for Sundown changed from Adidas to New Balance and then to OSIM, so it was a bit of a turn off. For the other run, I would usually try to go for one with very attractive race packs.

Last year I went for the ST Run, which included TWO New Balance tees and an Alive museum admission ticket among other goodies. This year they gave 2 New Balance shirts as well, but no admission tickets and I didn’t know what else they were giving so I wasn’t very enticed. After some research, I decided to sign up for the Great Eastern Women’s Run as they were giving 2 Adidas (my personal fav) tees for their 10th year. And I am so glad I did! This was the race pack..


The most goodies I ever saw in a race pack! Yes, I know they’re mostly sample-sized, but I’m easily satisfied ok! Think I have found my other regular run! If the race pack continues to be this good of course..

And I read that there will be a FREE food tent on the actual day!! :D

Will update again after the run!

1 comment: