Thursday, October 29, 2015

Restaurant Week: Napoleon Food & Wine Bar

For those of you who didn't already know, Restaurant Week is a week-long event where renowned restaurants serve 3-course meals at a somewhat more affordable price than usual.

I only 'discovered' Restaurant Week last year through one of my ex-colleagues, so I've been very enthusiastic in booking places when they returned for the 10th edition early this year and the recent 11th edition this week!

Previously, I just chose whichever place served beef but that didn't turn out so well coz some of the servings were REALLY small (Caffe B) and some weren't impressive enough for the price (Barossa).

So this time I researched based on menu (MUST HAVE BEEF!) and reviews. The first one on the list was Napoleon, which we took some time to find as it was nestled inconspicuously among a row of shophouses. Turns out it's actually just next to The Market Grill, which serves AWESOME lobster rolls by the way.

The server who greeted us was friendly and apologetic that we had to wait for awhile before the table was ready. Once we were seated, I quickly scanned through the menu to check what the normal prices of the dishes were, coz I always get a cheap thrill knowing how much I'm 'saving'.


Lobster Bisque

My absolute favorite soup!! I LOVED this ever since I first tried it at Jack's Place when I was about 5 or so and when I say I love it I mean I would choose it as part of the menu for my last meal. This was creamier than most lobster bisques I've tried and I kinda liked it that way.

Normal price: $13


Sautéed Angus Beef Tenderloin 

My only beef (heh) with the steak was that they didn't let us choose the doneness but I guess that was coz it was already cut up into bite-sized pieces, which is pretty neat for a lazy person like myself. I also didn't like the fact that it was a little spicy coz of the chilli in the sauce, but that's coz I don't like spicy food in general. Mashed potatoes were good, the melt-in-your-mouth creamy kind.

Normal price: $30


Chocolate Mi-cuit Canele

Turns out Mi-cuit is just an atas name name for lava cake. And it was SO decadently yummy!! Served with a small piece of ganache to make me feel even more sinful than I already did. The chocolate went well with the ice cream and the mini coffee cookie bits. 

Normal price: $15

My friend had the Tuna Avocado Tartare ($19) for appetizer, which we both weren't that impressed with, and Lemon Tart Brûlée ($12) for dessert. 


Lemon Tart Brûlée 

I thought it was okayyyyy but he didn't really like it. Probably better for people who like tangy desserts. 

Anyway! I "saved" $23++ in total! Taking into consideration the value of the meal, the taste and the ambiance I'd give it 4/5! Please note that, like movies, I'm easily satisfied when it comes to food so please take the rating with a pinch of salt! 

Napoleon Food & Wine Bar
206 Telok Ayer Street (S)068641
62219282
Mon - Fri: 11.45am - Midnight
Sat: 6pm - Midnight
Sun: Closed

No comments:

Post a Comment